Beginners Six Week Course
This course runs for six weeks with classes on Tuesday evenings from 6pm til 9pm with an upfront payment of $480 for the total course.
It's time to get more familiar with clay!
Jude will teach you how to make your own mould which you'll create ready to be set for another class. Don't worry, you'll still get your hands dirty... in this class, you'll create a sushi plate mould and a mini version of the plate mould, suitable for press forming a small sauce bowl.
This week you'll be learning about press moulds. You'll use a mould made from wood to create two dishes (up to 28cm wide). You'll have the choice of circle, square, oval or rectangle and of course your own choice of designs. You'll also be guided on how to create your own pattern template to use in the next class.
It's the week to level up your creativity!
We're making stamps and a bowl this week. You'll create your own unique stamps that you'll use to add texture and design to your creation. Importantly, you'll need to make a special stamp with your signature on it so you can let the world know it's your design; and all pots MUST have your signature on them before we firing so we can all recognise which pot belongs to you because they can look very different after firing! You'll then use these stamps to make a beautiful bowl covered in different textures.
We will be getting colourful in week four. This week we'll be learning more about colour and slips. You'll create your own slip colour for your designs but don't worry, you won't be limited - Jude has a vast array of colour slips already created for you to use. This week you'll create a vase using dowel to gain a seamless cylinder that will stand approximately 25cm tall. A gorgeous, bespoke structure that you can then add your colours to.
Coffee or tea? This week, you'll build a mug and learn the intricacies of joining a foot and handle. You'll use your slip knowledge and skills from last week to colour your mug. Additionally, we'll look at handles... there are several different, easy ways to produce them. There is never just one way to achieve something - the possibilities are endless!
We're almost at the end of our beginner pottery journey. In our final week together, you'll create a lidded container and use your stamps created in week three to decorate. You'll work on handles, knobs and lids, using all of the skills you learnt in throughout the course to craft the container.
While your container is setting, you can work on a small trinket bowl using your stamps to create unique patterns - working on two different items in one class will be easy! *Please note: this is ONLY if time and weather permits.
With the course coming to an end, all of your pots will be fired by Jude and ready for collection in two to three weeks time.
You certainly won't be leaving the course empty handed. At the end of this course you will leave with 12 pieces of pottery that are fired, finished and ready to take home.
What you'll take home:
- Sushi plate mould and mini press mould
- Two plates made from a wooden mould
- Textured bowl
- Vase - (up to) 25cm tall
- Unique coffee mug
- Lidded container
- Textured trinket bowl *time / weather permitting
- Bring your imagination and a huge sense of playfulness!
- Wear old clothes and even bring an apron, you will get wonderfully messy (just like you used to when making mud pies as a child)!
- Come fully caffeinated or Fonzie Abbot is directly across the road
- Tea, coffee and light snacks provided
- BYO is accepted for any of our evening classes
- Tie long hair back to avoid getting clay in your hair
- Remove jewellery as you'll be working with your hands... and clay!
- Must wear closed toe, comfortable shoes
- Your pieces will be dishwasher, microwave, ovenproof and food safe
- For safety: you must be 15 years or over to attend any of our classes
- BYO masks for certain classes (see course notes)